Sunday, July 18, 2010

My Inheritance

Heath has found himself a new hobby...refinishing old guns. When Paw Paw Teet passed away I 'inherited' an OLD gun. He had enough guns for all 8 grandchildren and his 3 daughters to each get one. So, to be fair, after the 3 daughters picked their guns they numbered the remaining guns and each grandchild drew a number. Anyway, I got the ABSOLUTE WORSE gun of all. It was held together by tie-wraps and it was rusted from top to bottom. They felt so sorry for me they gave me a new camouflage cover just so I would have something decent. When we got home from LA a few weeks ago, Heath started working on it and after MANY hours of sanding, scrubing, varnishing, and re-blueing (which is what you do to the barrel to restore it- by the way you put it on with a cotton ball and tweezers); it looks like new! I think he put like 7 or 8 coats of "blue" on it and almost that many coats of varnish. I couldn't believe the difference in the before and after pictures. I think Paw Paw would be proud of his old gun! :)

BEFORE:


AFTER:

No comments:

Post a Comment